Tuesday, November 07, 2006

So I finally gave in to the peer non-pressure to start a blog. I've blogged before; I've always liked the idea but gave it up for various reasons. But now that friends have blogs on this site, I feel compelled to fit in. I say "peer non-pressure" because the peers in question didn't actually pressure me to start one. Sort of like in school, when no one pressured me to try drugs. I sure felt left out. I mean, what was wrong with me? Why didn't anyone force me to do things that were stupid but ostensibly cool? But I digress.

About the blog...this blog is named, in a convoluted way, after a woman from my past. We'll call her Anne, which is actually her real name, because I'm too lazy to come up with a clever pseudonym to preserve her anonymity. Oh wait! I could call her Enna. Okay I will. Okay, forget that I said her name was Anne.

But here's the creepy and ironic twist, because anyone who knows me knows there's always a creepy twist: I never actually did get to meet Enna. Many years ago, I was spending far too much time online and not nearly enough in reality. Sure, that sounds fun in a William Gibson-esque kind of way, but the truth is, I was addicted, and depressed. Enna, it turns out, was my ticket out...

She was the one who convinced me there was life outside of the internet, and it could be a pretty good life, if you were willing to work at it. Needless to say, I was in love with Enna, at least insofar as anyone can be in love with someone they've never met. I always promised myself I'd meet her in person someday, but the years have been flying by and there's no hope of that in sight. Of course the fact that she lived thousands of miles away, was married, had five children and was 15 years older than me were complications I couldn't quite find a way around.

These days, it would be even a bit of a stretch to say that we're still friends. It's been over a year since we last spoke. Still...the impact she had on my life is undeniable even to this day.

Anyway...as for the blog. One day I tried to put into words how I felt about Enna and wrote a poem about her. The very last line of it was, "You were the brightest spot in an otherwise grey existance." Because at the time, that was a pretty accurate description of how I felt about her relative to the rest of my life.

Things you can expect to see in this blog:

-complaints about my miniature painting work
-updates on my game design work
-scandalous gossip about people I know
-clever and insightful (read: dorky and inane) observations on every day life
-obscure and not-so-obscure references to Enna
-fiction I've written

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg, your blog promises hilarity and insight. I look forward to reading it. :o)

~
Amalia/Anactoria

Elliot said...

Welcome to the blog addiction!